House of Literature Bookmobile

This is the place I share book (movie) selections and reviews I have found worth mentioning. I'll also share gleanings of family life, faith, home education, and ongoing writing projects. Book selections will include children's books, books on home education, Catholic books, classics, series, raising children, and books that are made for reading under a shady oak tree with lemonade, in a bubble bath with a latte', or next to a snuggly fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa. Happy Reading!

Monday, December 05, 2005

Christmas Specials Were Special

Ah, yes! Do you remember?

Most of us reading this come from a generation that grew up without VCR/recording options. We well remember Christmas specials on TV and the indoctrinated tradition of being home on the nights they played.

Come to think of it, we weren't often being scuddled around. We usually were home. These were nights Mom made hot fudge or popped popcorn or dished out bowls of ice cream for all to enjoy while we watched the show. At least, those are my treasured memories.

Come now! Don't be a Grinch or a Scrooge. Share with us! What was YOUR favorite Christmas special?

Mine was Dr. Seuss' classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The Seuss version, of course; not Ron Howard's Jim Carrey rendition. ; )

I clearly remember watching Christmas shows while dipping Oreo cookies into my milk to soften the cookie because I was seven years old and my teeth were falling out and they hurt!

I also remember always crying during The Little Drummer Boy.
Bittersweet memories, but sweet.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:06 AM, Blogger Mary G said…

    Cay:

    Yep, before videos or DVDs which allow you to watch these ANYTIME you want.

    It was a real treat to be able to stay up and watch TV on a SCHOOL NIGHT -- so all of them were favorites!

    I'm very happy to have found one (on DVD) that St. Nick gave me this morning -- "The Year Without a Santa Claus" -- that's the one with Mr. Heat Miser and his brother Mr. Snow Blizzard (or something like that -- I have to wait till tonight to watch it -- I'm trying to be good.....)

    But this is a classic battle between two brothers who can't get along and are trying to freeze the world or burn it up; Santa loses his Christmas spirit and Shirley Booth (remember "Hazel"?) with help from 2 elves, gets evryone back into the spirit.

    Just about any of the Rankin-Bass specials are a wonderful, loving memory!

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger Karen Edmisten said…

    Oh, yes, how well I remember the vital importance of "being home that night." Not, as you said, that we were out running around all that often.

    And I also fondly remember having to time bathroom breaks to coincide with commercial breaks.
    :-) And, having a sibling screech out, "Hurry! It's back on!"

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Cay Gibson said…

    Karen wrote:
    "And I also fondly remember having to time bathroom breaks to coincide with commercial breaks.
    :-) And, having a sibling screech out, "Hurry! It's back on!" "
    ******

    LOL!
    Oh, my, yes!!!
    I remember well...
    Cay

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Cay Gibson said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger love2learnmom said…

    I fondly remember the other movies that would show up once a year too and would be a huge event in our household - Sound of Music (my younger brother never could stay awake for the end!), Chitty-chitty Bang-Bang, Wizard of Oz, etc. I especially remember Wizard of Oz. We had a black-and-white TV when I was little (70s) and my mom always talked about the horse of a differet color in the land of Oz and we imagined how cool it would be.

    One year - I was probably nine or ten - the highly anticipated showing of Wizard of Oz was going to be that night. Someone turned on the TV earlier in the day and it was a goner. We were worried. This was an important night. But my dad came through. He bought a used TV from a friend and it was our first color TV ever! We were so excited. And Wizard of Oz was the perfect first movie to see on a Color TV with the contrast between sepia-tone Kansas and colorful Oz and, yes, the horse of a different color.

    As far as Christmas specials go - I really liked the Charlie Brown Christmas special and Miracle on 34th Street. I didn't see White Christmas or It's a Wonderful Life until I was in high school.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]