House of Literature Bookmobile

This is the place I share book (movie) selections and reviews I have found worth mentioning. I'll also share gleanings of family life, faith, home education, and ongoing writing projects. Book selections will include children's books, books on home education, Catholic books, classics, series, raising children, and books that are made for reading under a shady oak tree with lemonade, in a bubble bath with a latte', or next to a snuggly fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa. Happy Reading!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Jest 'Fore Christmas

Jest 'Fore Christmas
by Eugene Field

I read this poem to my children every year at Christmas time; just as my mother did with me.

This is a fun poem, 'specially fer boys. Helps 'em to mind their P's and Q's and remember not to:

"chawnk green apples..."
"sick" the dog on the cat...
"laff an' holler" at the grocery man...

It also helps them to respectfully regard Gran'ma's dreams that one day
"when I git to be a man,
I'll be a missionarer like her oldest brother, Dan,
As was et up by the cannibals that live in Ceylon's Isle,..."

So that:

"...thinkin' of the things yer'd like to see upon that tree,
Jest 'fore Christmas be as good as yer kin be!"

We also read some out of At Christmastime while baking brownies for our CCD parties today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]