House of Literature Bookmobile

This is the place I share book (movie) selections and reviews I have found worth mentioning. I'll also share gleanings of family life, faith, home education, and ongoing writing projects. Book selections will include children's books, books on home education, Catholic books, classics, series, raising children, and books that are made for reading under a shady oak tree with lemonade, in a bubble bath with a latte', or next to a snuggly fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa. Happy Reading!

Friday, December 09, 2005

Poetry Reading

My dear children are in the living room listening to Oprah recite a piece of poetry on Peace with Maya Angelou.

Does that count as poetry for the day?

I was rather shocked to peek around the corner and see all my darlings sitting entranced, hypnotised, awe-struck.

One could say they looked like wet noodles with warped minds, but I prefer the more poetic version.

Speaking of poetry, we were at the library today for co-op and Little Flowers. I happened upon this book of Christmas poems:
At Christmastime by Valerie Worth/Antonio Frasconi.

Also got Christmas Folk by Natalia Belting / illustrated by Barbara Cooney (same artist of Miss Rumphius and others).

2 Comments:

  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Mary G said…

    Cay -- just wanted to mention a cool book on poetry I got for the kids a couple of weeks back. Edited by Elise Paschen, Poetry for Children has some great poems in it -- and a cd where about half the poems are read by the authors (or someone else -- Basil Rathbone (Sherlock Holmes) reads "The Raven" -- this might be a better alternative to Oprah!

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger Cay Gibson said…

    Mary,
    The thing that was so ear-catching about Oprah's presentation was that she was reciting it in unison with Maya. They had a chorus behind them that provoked certain exclamatives from the poem.

    Maya didn't just read the poem. This was a well-prepared/well-rehearsed poetic presentation.

    Perhaps we need to think of ways to "present" poetry vs. just reading it to the children...though I really don't know how.

    My dd did have an English teacher who presented it very well. She said even the boys in the class were often speechless after a recitation and could only say, "Wow!"

    That teacher had a gift. It's made me much more aware of how I recite poetry. It simply can't "just be read."

    Poetry certainly isn't appreciated enough. Thanks for sharing the CD. I'll have to check my library.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]