House of Literature Bookmobile

This is the place I share book (movie) selections and reviews I have found worth mentioning. I'll also share gleanings of family life, faith, home education, and ongoing writing projects. Book selections will include children's books, books on home education, Catholic books, classics, series, raising children, and books that are made for reading under a shady oak tree with lemonade, in a bubble bath with a latte', or next to a snuggly fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa. Happy Reading!

Friday, February 25, 2005

The Best Long-Term Book Investment

The best investment I have made in a long time is the .50 cents I spent at my library's discarded table on William J. Bennett's audio set The Book of Virtues.

We've had the book since it was published in 1993. But our read-alouds with it never fully took-off. I began finding picture books with these little treasured nuggets of virtue and that has been our mainstay. Still there are many stories not found and not read.

I knew I had found a priceless piece of character education the first time I pushed one of these tapes into the cassette player.

We listen to a story, a poem, a moral, a myth, Scripture, a fable, a quote each road trip we take in the vehicle. And my children are hearing the best of the best stories read by Charlton Heston, Harriet Walter, Fritz Weaver, Tom Selleck, Michael York and many more talents.

If I had to pick only one literary treasure to keep in my ever-expanding home library, this would be the one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]