House of Literature Bookmobile

This is the place I share book (movie) selections and reviews I have found worth mentioning. I'll also share gleanings of family life, faith, home education, and ongoing writing projects. Book selections will include children's books, books on home education, Catholic books, classics, series, raising children, and books that are made for reading under a shady oak tree with lemonade, in a bubble bath with a latte', or next to a snuggly fireplace with a cup of hot cocoa. Happy Reading!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Can We Eat Now?

Call us Cajuns. Afterall, Cajuns party anytime of year. : )

The official Twelfth Night celebrations are not yet upon us but my family has already eaten two King Cakes.

One at the New Year's Eve party that took place at the nursing home where my father-in-law resides.

One on New Year's Day at the home of Drama Queen's godparents.

And tonight my dear husband brought home a small one for us to enjoy.

King Cakes will be enjoyed from now until Ash Wednesday. If you don't have any in your area, there are bakeries that will mail you one. If you want to try your luck with making one, this link tells the history of the King Cake and gives a nice, easy recipe that is do-able with small children and should be pretty tasty: Easy King Cake Recipe

This site claims to have the Official King Cake Recipe but I'm not so sure since everybody and their brother makes this claim around here.

~ Bon Appetite! ~

4 Comments:

  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Mary G said…

    So Cay -- as the loving spouse of a guy that grew up in BTR (but I grew up in San Francisco, Ca) -- what is the best, most authentic King Cake recipe.....I found many, and my in-laws had one sent from NO last year but is it just a yeast cake with purple, green and yellow sugars or is there something I'm missing?

    Blessings and happy Epiphany to all

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Cay Gibson said…

    The most authentic King Cake?

    Why the one bought at Misse's Grocery in Sulphur, LA, of course.
    LOL

    I do believe they shipout but I can't find a website for them. I'll have to talk to those people. :)

    I do have a recipe I picked up at Vermillion Ville last year. I'll have to find that too to send you.

    King Cakes are kind of difficult to make. I find that they are anyway. But, part of the problem could be sheer laziness on my part.

    See...I don't "do it all." LOL

    Every store and bakery has King Cakes around here. It's easier to run pick one up than to make and bake your own. ;)

    We pay up to $15-$20 for a cake, but you can find smaller ones for $10.

    This being said...and dragged out...I think the key ingredient in a King Cake is "lots of filling". The worse thing is a dry, bready King Cake.

    Ya gotta have filling in it. Ya gotta! OH, and colored icing on top. Otherwise, it's just another cinnamon roll bread.

     
  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger Mary G said…

    Thanks Cay -- just what I needed....I'll make a practice one today (we're having company tonight) and then we'll try again on the 8th.....

    By Lent we'll either be so sick of King cakes OR I'll have found the perfect blend between bready and ooey-gooey....

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Cay Gibson said…

    Mary,
    I forgot to mention another key component.

    Cinnamon. Make sure you add lots and lots of cinnamon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]